Friday, December 19, 2014

Thin Ice

Thin Ice 2317_2859_2866
I had looked for mushrooms that morning and found some.  They were covered with snow and I could not brush it off sufficiently.  I was headed home without an image when I passed the vernal pool and glanced at this.

Actually, I glanced at this.

Thin Ice 2317_2858
I was struck by the curves in the ice.  I set up the tripod and made the focus stack seen at the top.

Thin Ice 2317_2859_2866
After making the captures at the top, Thin Ice 2317_2859_2866, I noticed that the goldenrod in the foreground had moved ever so slightly.  I thought that movement might be problematic in the processed focus stack so I tried to groom it out before making these captures.  I somehow moved something which broke the ice.  I was about to scrub this series but decided to go ahead anyway.  In the end, I liked one at the top the best, even with the movement in the goldenrod.  The light, in my opinion, supports the whole idea the best.

This blog is meant to be a journal of my experiences, what goes through my mind, what I see.  It is predicated on the idea of Larry's Images.  I am putting it out there for anyone who is interested.  I try to record the evolution of my thinking as "work" a subject.  I try to share the things I learn for anyone.  It is "unedited" in the sense that I show images which I would not show at the museum.

I am a late comer to "serious" photography.  I certainly have not intentionally compromised Photography as an art.  To quote George Lepp, "I think that the mass distribution of unedited images (often accompanied by self-praise thinly disguised as instruction in the form of unedited blogs) is what drives the idea that photography as an art has been compromised by the digital age."  I am a simple person.  If I have done this, it has not been intentional.  I don't know if I have.  I know that when I read the statement in George's Techtips column in Outdoor Photographer, December 2014 issue, it stung.

I get under pressure to produce images for an everyday blog.  I think that I would like to step back a little and think about this.  If you miss me, know that I have done so.

Buy your 2015 Calender Here 

Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: