Monday, December 15, 2014

Oyster Mushroom Addendum

Oyster Mushrooms
The cluster looked differently after I harvested the mature mushrooms.  I mistakenly made this image one and 1/2 stops over exposed.  I liked the result and decided to show it.

Oyster Mushrooms
I think they were too crowded and that is why they did not attain the size of the others.  I decided they would not grow further and harvested what you see.  

I fried them in cracker crumbs and butter.  Their flavor reminded me of the mushrooms, "sponge and snake head", we used to find in the "woods" back on the farm.

Oyster Mushroom Spore Print
I got a nice spore print from the first mushroom I harvested.

Oyster Mushroom Spores at 40X
Oyster Mushroom Spores at 400X
I have been trying to make permanent slides without success so far.  I used Canada Balsam which is touted as the best sealant by many but it dissolved all the spores upon contact.  The cover slip was secure, however.

I am starting to think that I might not need permanent slides as long as I make captures like these.

 

Buy your 2015 Calender Here 

Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook




No comments: