Sunday, September 14, 2014

Green Heron

Green Heron Juvenile
This bird was perched on the rail of the pond's elevated walkway when I turned around the other day.  I was quite close but did not have my bird lens mounted on a camera.  I carefully mound and began shooting.

Green Heron Juvenile

I seldom have the chance to concentrate on poses of the bird but in this shoot I did.


Green Heron Juvenile
The bird did not seem to be aware of me and I was only standing behind the tall plants of the trail.  My only thought is that I was a silhouette with the sun directly behind me.  I was able to get my monopod mounted to the lens later in the shoot.  Once it was mounted, I was able to turn out a greater percentage of sharply focused images.  I was also able to shift to "manual" mode from "shutter priority" to "trade some of the light for additional DOF and slower shutter."

Green Heron Juvenile
Green Heron Juvenile














The pose at the left is a characteristic pose.  I came home with a "boatload" of images to process.  This is the kind of shoot that makes a photographer's catalog deep.  He/she did outlast me though.  I tried to be quiet but I think I frightened it away as I exited.


Larry's Images

Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: