Saturday, August 9, 2014

Orange and Red Dragonflies

Ruby Meadowhawk
I became familiar with the Ruby Meadowhawk in August of 2009.  Recently, I caught glimpses of an orange dragonfly.  I finally got a closer look.

White-faced Meadowhawk
I did not think it could be a Ruby Meadowhawk because it was orange.  I was unsure about the color of the face, too.  Then I saw one, an orange one, which had red areas on the abdomen.

Ruby Meadowhawk
I am wondering, now, if the immature form is orange and switches to red as it matures.  I am currently functioning with that theory.

Ruby Meadowhawk
I am waiting to hear from Judy Semrock on this issue and will pass on any information.

Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: