Thursday, August 28, 2014

CamRanger

CamRanger
I knew I needed one when I first heard about it.  At the time it only supported Apple devices.  It now supports Android which my Samsung Galaxy S4 runs.  I initially thought that I needed one because of its ability to control my camera, Canon 7D, wirelessly from up to 50 yards.  That makes it a more than adequate replacement for an articulated LCD, which my camera does not include.  It enables me to get down with the camera and set it up without my physically getting down to set it up.

It connects to my camera, it does not support all cameras so check, and broadcasts an "ad hock" wifi network.  CamRanger comes with a zippered carrying case which can hang on the tripod during use.  I installed a free app on my phone and, WALLA, it connects to and controls my camera!  It also works with larger Android devices and with Windows also.

I decided to try Deep DOF first. 

CamRanger Hanging On Tripod
The CamRanger Android App is not totally intuitive.  I found that I must acclimate myself to its idiosyncrasies.  I shot my first Helicon Focus series using the phone to manually advance the focus for each of 105 shots.  Pretty tough work.  The result was enough to catch my vision of the possibilities but I wanted to automate it.  No problem, the app can do that.  It lets you choose the size of the focus steps, "large", "medium", and "small".  You can then choose the number of captures, 1 to 50.  If 50 is not enough it will pick up at that point of focus with more captures.  You must enable "live view" in the app and the last thing to check is "auto focus".  I ran several with out that selected and it captures up to 50 of the same focus point.  I found that I can not assume that it stays on "Auto Focus" just because the previous series was "Auto Focus".  I finally learned.  It has the camera save to its memory card and saves a thumbnail on the CamRanger.  I find that I can disable "live view" in the app and it releases the camera so I can view images on the camera's LCD once the series has finished.

Camera Setup for Queen Ann's Lace
I thought the light on the flower was beautiful!


Queen Ann's Lace

Larry's Images

Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: