Thursday, July 10, 2014

Amber-winged Spreadwing

Amber-winged Spreadwing
I have never seen a spreadwing at the front pond before.  I came upon this one recently.

Amber-winged Spreadwing
I have no zoom on the Sigma 180mm Macro lens.  I don't have a closeup filter for it either.  I would have had those options available with last year's setup.

Amber-winged Spreadwing
When I am too close to frame the entire insect, I sometimes shot a sort of panorama of it for assembly later.

Amber-winged Spreadwing
This was done in PS5.  With such a clear view of the 9th segment, I was able to know this to be a male.  The insect was remarkably patient with me.  I have seen several of these since but without a good opportunity to photograph them.

This spreadwing is not listed in the DOW Booklet:  Common Dragonflies and Damselflies of Ohio, in which I looked for it.  I think that it must be an omission.  I am unable to know whether it is listed as in Richland County.

Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: