Thursday, May 22, 2014

Wood Ducks

Wood Duck Pair
This pair of Wood Ducks excited me recently.  I had never seen any at Gorman on the water.

I learned that Wood Ducks are cavity nesters i.e. they nest in a cavity in a tree.


Cavity Nest Box
Then, I understood the nest box standing by the pond.

Wood Duck Female and Young
Soon afterward, I saw this site.

Wood Duck Female and Young
They stay near the shore line and don't leave it unless someone walks by.  They are camouflaged well and are difficult to see.

Wood Duck Female and Young
If you walk past them on the trail near the water, you probably will not see them unless they swim away from the shore.

Wood Duck Female and Young
 "How does the little one get out of the nest and to the water," you might ask?  I am told that mother calls and  the little one jumps to join her in the water.  It can not fly until it grows feathers in the late season.

Larry's Images



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: