Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Post Lens Align Shooting

Buttercup


 I came upon this yellow flower lit in a special way the other morning.  I felt compelled to photograph it because of the light.

Buttercup


My conventional way of shooting this was to manually focus (first picture).  I then decided to use auto focus (second picture).

Buttercup


I was reminded that I should use the lens I calibrated with Lens Align for the shot.  By the time I changed lenses the light had changed, unfortunately.  I am of the opinion that the third shot is sharper than either of the others.  I am afraid that is not quite apparent because of the changed light.

I used a Sigma 70-300 mm macro for these shots.  I don't consider it one of my sharpest lenses but I can still turn out sharp shots with it.  I have two of these, having replaced my first one when it needed repair.  I eventually had it repaired and still use it.  If Sigma, or anyone, made a Canon compatible 70-300 mm macro in a better quality, unchangeable aperture, I would buy one.  I would love an f/2.8 one!  It is still my go lens for insect photography because the working distance is greater than the 105 mm macro.  The insects are more relaxed at the greater working distance.  I know that I am rambling, but I want the try the Sigma 180 mm macro that came out recently for this application.

Larry's Images



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: