Friday, May 9, 2014

Auto Focus Sharpness

Lens Align MkII
I recently read an article in Outdoor Photographer Magazine on fine tuning auto focus on a per lens basis.  I learned that some cameras have a setting whereby one can micro adjust auto focus for a lens.  I discovered that my camera, Canon 7D, is one which supports this feature.

I purchased the LensAlign MkII for this purpose.  Following are my report and reactions.

Lens Align MkII


I decided to try the Long Ruler since I had in mind my Sigma 50-500mm zoom lens, a 1990's model.


Lens Align MkII


The distance to the Lens Align from the camera varies with focal length of the lens being tested.

Lens Align MkII Setup
 I did this on a rainy day and the working distance to the lens became an issue as the focal length of the lens increased.  I needed 42.5 feet for my Sigma 50-500 mm.  I had to redo the shots on the second day because I had not aligned the Lens Align MkII properly with the image sensor in the camera.  I eventually found that shooting available light under an incandescent light worked best since I had to shoot through a doorway.  I used spot metering for this.

More tomorrow.


No comments: