Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Salamander Update I

You may remember my discussion of salamanders shown previously.  I have something new to add on the subject.

I was walking past my "favorite" vernal pool from last year and, hearing the frogs calling, decided to sit a while.  I noticed an egg clump and thought that the eggs were too large for the tiny frogs I had heard calling.

Egg Cluster
While walking away back to the parking lot, I tried to think what was large enough to leave these big eggs.  I thought of salamanders.  After unloading my camera equipment, I walked back and netted just a few for further study.

I filtered the water through a paper towel and placed it and the eggs into my photography aquarium, made out of window glass.

Eggs
As you may notice, some are already becoming embryos.

Egg
I, initially, found it difficult to focus on the actual egg.  I had the gelatinous material surrounding the egg in focus here.


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: