Friday, September 20, 2013

Sweetflag Spreadwing Male


Sweetflag Spreadwing
This kind of damselfly seems to be quite active at the vernal pool South of the covered bridge.  When they land, it is my job to photograph them.  When they land too close for my lens setup, Sigma 70-300 macro mounted on a 1.4x converter, I must add the Canon 500D close up filter carefully without frightening the insect.  That is how these images were shot.  I have found that when I am close or at the focusing limit of the lens setup and I add the 500D, I must change my focusing to the infinity range and move just a little bit closer.  Did I mention that it is difficult to find the subject when doing macro photography?   This setup is capable of 1.7x on the sensor at the closest.  This shot is probably just over .739x.

When they are so close I photograph them in parts.  

Sweetflag Spreadwing Male, Segments 7 - 10
He uses the appendage at the end of the abdomen to grasp the female at the neck when they fly in tandem.

I worry sometimes that they will be captured by the web of the Long-jawed Orb Weaver Spider.  They seem to avoid it, at least while I am watching.

Larry's Images

Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: