Saturday, September 7, 2013

Background Control

Big Bluestem
I have been rethinking exposure settings in the morning light.  I have made images like this before where the sunlight is hitting the grass inflorescence  and the background is in shade.  I like that overall affect but usually the grass head is over exposed.

Big Bluestem
I had the idea the other day that my meter probably does not handle this shot well.  I can usually deal with it in Photoshop but it would be better to get it right in camera.

The drawback in a shot like this is that the background can be cluttered.  The shadow on it helps but the f/stop needed for the grass to be in focus is too narrow and does not blur the background enough.  I found that if I dialed my exposure down by two stops (two stops under that recommended by the meter, I could have the inflorescence exposed correctly and the background less distracting at the same time.  I tried f/8 and f/5.6 on these two.  With f/5.6 the rear toe of the flume was beginning to be out of focus and the background was not as bright.  I liked that exposure, e.g. the latter, better because of this.

I was thinking about my grandsons, L & L, while I did this.  Bees like to visit this plant at this stage for the nectar and pollen.  I made a video showing the pollen released as you bump the plant.  I thought that you might enjoy it.

Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: