Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Pond Algae

Pond Algae
I have been noticing algae on the ponds this year.  I could see it even when the water was frozen.  The cold weather did not seem to hamper its growth. 

Pond Algae
I read on Wikipedia that the word "algae" is Latin for seaweed.  They range from single cell organisms to multi-cell organisms such as giant kelp which grows to 65 meters in length.  They lack various structures such as roots which other plants posses.  Most algae produce oxygen by photosynthesis. 

I am unsure whether the algae on the ponds is new or just new to my observation.  I have talked to pond owners in the past who have applied copper sulfate to their ponds to cause the algae to die.  I did not read on Wikipedia that it is a nuisance needing irradiation.  It mentioned many benefits derived.  I will observe to see what happens this season.

Larry's Images



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: