Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Metal Prints Retrospective III

Sunrise Print
I thought this image perfect for the aluminum satin gold.  That metal with the gold reflectance really makes the colorful sky pop.  It is in the "wink" group.

As in the previously discussed in faux metal prints.  I mount
the print on black mat.  The black goes toward the wall.  Once, the print is
mounted I cut the image out.  Cutting through the metal was a different process.
I was, however; able to use mostly the same tools.  I cut them with my Altos
cutter.

Start To Cut 1/4 inch From The Edge
 I found that it was best not to cut the top edge as I do cutting mat.

Ruined Edge At Corner

I plunged my blade at about 1/4" from the edge and made the cut.  I then would use
my utility knife to cut back to the edge.  It made a much cleaner cut.  The most
critical cut was the last one.  There were no buffer edges.  I believe that my
procedure covers that problem.

Cutting Corner With Utility Knife

 I started out using a metal file to bevel the
metal edges. 

Filing Off the Burr on the Print

 I used my sanding block for the mat on the back.  That worked well, on
at least two prints.  I then had one that went wavy on the edges after I beveled
it. 


Wavy Edges on Two Sides


Close up shots revealed that mat layers appeared to be separating.  I am unsure
if I used too much pressure on the file or if the mat was defective.  Later in the
process I began using my sanding block instead of the file on the metal side and all
worked well.  The corners require special attention.  They may require straightening
after cutting.  I found I could straighten with just finger pressure. 


Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: