Monday, April 1, 2013

Metal Prints Retrospective II

Green Heron Pint
This is my favorite print of them all.  It is printed on Aluminum Matte Silver metal.  It is not one to wink at you as you walk across the room but it has the feel of an old print that has been there for years.  Of course, it has not.  I think that part of the attraction this print has for me is the choice of image to print on the metal.  I think the two complement each other.

Booksmart Store sells a different brand of print protectant.
I decided to use Print Shield by Premier Art since I had it on hand and I did
not have the extra money to buy theirs.  It worked fine as far as I can see.
Using such a product is imperative with these prints because the ink is lying
on top of the metal and must be protected.  Even with several coats of the pro-
tectant the prints scratch easily. I experienced some ink chipping but only on one of the metals.  I don't know if it was the metal surface, the substrate, my method
of beveling the edges, or what.  I could make the bevel wider to cover the chips
in all but one case.  I like to get at least two coats of Print Shield on the print
before the cutting, see below.  I think that I am less likely to damage the printed
surface during the process with it on there.

Pealing Edge Before Bevel
Maybe the chips are all part of the charm.  This metal is aluminum satin silver.  As I mentioned above, I don't know why this occurred.  

Larry's Images

Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
 

No comments: