Sunday, September 30, 2012

Butterflies

Monarch Butterfly
We had almost no butterflies this season at Gorman.  The larger butterflies were particularly scarce.  This is my only shot of the Monarch.

Red Admiral Butterfly
This is a butterfly that sometimes overwinters as an adult.  I saw almost none of these.

Peck's Skipper

             This is usually a common butterfly but not this year.  It is small and you must be alert to see it.


Pearl Crescent Butterfly
We had a profuse number of these this season.  I wonder why.

Silver-spotted Skipper
This is a butterfly which rarely shows its wings open like this.  I caught this one after a rather cool night and it was warming in the sun.  I saw several of these this season.

Hobomok Skipper
I saw only this one.

Clouded Sulfur
This is one which was at least as common as in previous years.

Cabbage White
This is one that I hated when I grew cabbage in my garden.  I don't hate it any more.  I saw a few of these this year but not as many as in previous seasons.

Leonard's Skipper
I hope I have not shown you too many at once.  These, as I mentioned, are for most of the season.



http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook 

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: