Tuesday, August 7, 2012

1923 RUMELY OIL PULL

1923 Rumely Oil Pull
I visited the 2012 Richland County Fair with my son and his family Sunday.  We saw this tractor belonging to the Buckeye Iron Will Club.

My first impression was that I was viewing a steam engine.  That did not last long as I walked closer.  I could not see a boiler.  I finally found spark plugs and realized that it was an internal combustion engine.  This oil pull is a two cylinder model.  I heard and saw one running on the internet and it sounds much like one of the old John Deere tractors.  They may have it running for the parade later in the week.

I remember hearing from my family that threshing was the primary use for mechanization in the early 20th Century.  Horses had been the power before that.  They could still pull equipment in the fields but they could not operate a thresher.  Threshing before that was done by animals walking on the grain heads.  The thrasher was a giant step forward.  The steam engines and machine's like the Rumely were used to operate them via a belt.

1925 McCormick Deering Thresher
 This threshing machine is or was on display at the fairgrounds beside one of the barns.  There is an information  tag near the back explaining the machine's use.

Gradually, the tractor out paced the horse in providing motive force for other field implements including the plow.  I hear that it took three horses to pull a one bottom plow.  They would have to stop and rest if the row was too long.  The tractor could go without resting and pull more than one bottom, eventually.  I have been unable to learn how many bottoms this tractor can pull.

One of the club's officers with the oil pull
I must confess that I am not a good reporter.  This kind gentleman told me his name and answered my questions.  I did not record his name and have forgotten it.

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: