Sunday, April 29, 2012

David Fitzsimmons, Curious Critters at Gorman Nature Center

David FitzSimmons at Gorman
What a great day!  David talked about his book and its lead up.  I am sure that he matured as a photographer throughout that whole experience.  The book has won three awards, now and a Curious Critters II is in the works.  I was excited to learn about the playing cards.  They have the wonderful shots of the book and you can play at least four different games with them.

David FitzSimmons
David read several pages from his book to show the "personalities" of the animals.  

As a previous workshop attendee, David allowed me to photograph during his presentation.  He also helped me to learn the technique afterwards.  I have redone my American Toad shot using his procedure.  It is much easier than the "knock out" I previously used and provides a natural shadow that I like much better than the drop shadow I tried to insert with Photoshop.  I particularly liked his emphasis on capturing the "essence" of the animal.  I plan to start carrying my light box in the field.  Much of his shots are captured in the field.  None of the wildlife pictured, was drugged or sacrificed and anyway.

American Toad
I showed him my shot of the toad.  We talked about the toad's right rear big toe.  If I were presenting this in an editorial way, I would need to shot so that it did not appear to detract from the image.  As art, I would probably clone it out so that it would not distract. 

Thanks, David for a wonderful presentation yesterday.  I look forward to the puppet show today at the Ohio Bird Sanctuary at 2:00 PM.  I am bringing my grandchildren.

The shot that of David's that I liked the most yesterday was one of him reading Curious Critters to his daughters Sarah and Phoebe (not shown).

http://www.larrysimages.com/



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook.


Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



 

No comments: