Friday, November 11, 2011

Horn Coral

Rugosa or Horn Coral
This is one I picked up in a local stream bed.  It lay around for some time and then I put it in Wood Bleach for two weeds to clean it up.  I took it with me when I went to the yearly show of the Richland Lithic and Lapidary Society at the fairgrounds last winter.  Tom Kottyan told me it was Horn Coral.  Thanks, Tom.

Rugosa
I read about it in Wikipedia.  Coral is formed by little animals that live in a warm shallow sea and excrete Calcium Carbonate which builds up around them.  This particular coral was formed by an animal that went extinct about 241 million years ago.  So, it is very old.  I assume that it grew when this area was under a sea.  I suppose that it could have been pushed down from Canada by the glacier but I wonder if it would be in such good shape if that had happened.  The above shot is the near microscopic view.

Rugosa
I think that I can see the little individual "houses" that the corals lived in.  Any comments?

http://www.larrysimages.com/



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: