Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pond Life

Dragonfly Larva
I love to photograph Dragonflies, Butterflies and the like!  I have become aware of a little of their life cycle by this process.  The dragonflies are born in a vernal pool, not really a pond.  The difference is that the vernal pool has no fish because it dries up during certain times of year.  The dragonfly eggs hatch into a creature looking like this.  It has six legs and a water jet in its tail for propulsion.  It does not look a lot like a dragonfly.  I have recently received permission to study these creatures at Gorman Nature Center.  I am told that these don't always emerge as dragonflies in one year.  Some may spend 2 - 3 years on the pool before molting.  I have pictures of the process and will share those later.

Unknown worm like
   This creature was photographed on the glass of my study aquarium.  It did not seem to move much.  I am searching for its ID.  

flatworm like
This one trekked rapidly across the glass.  I had to be on my toes to keep up.  I used a near microscopic view lens set up for this shot as I did for the one above it.  The shot at the top was with a 1x macro lens and a close-up filter.  I also shot video of some of the creatures.  It included the dragonfly larva and the fairy shrimp.  It is hosted at my website.  Let it down load and by start itself.  If you don't it may stop and start if the buffering can not stay ahead of the player.  It is called gorman_nature_center_pond_life_2.wmv


http://www.larrysimages.com/



Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

No comments: