Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My first car!

My first car!
I wanted to buy an old (at that time) 1953 Chevy for $100.00.  Dad did not take kindly to that idea.  He found this red corvair and bought it.  Mom signed me up for a car loan at home.  I believe she charged me 6% interest and I made monthly payments to her until I paid it off.  It was a 1963 Corvair Spyder.  Of course, at my age, I thought the whole idea wonderful.  It had a turbo charged engine, not common today, engine rated at 150 HP.  I never knew the top speed of it.  I shudder today thinking about those high speeds.  Let's don't talk about what Ralph Nader thought of the Corvair!

Some of the people who read this, high school friends, might remember the stupid things I did with a car.  I suppose I am fortunate that I lived.  We probably talked about cars too much when at school.

Instrument Panel
I really don't think many of my high school friends actually saw this car as I got it before my sophomore year at OSU.  I was pretty much gone from home by this time. 

Today, I am most uncomfortable about what it said about my values.  It seemed that I thought that I had attained my goals when I obtained it.  I only drove it about 60k miles before I traded it.  Did I mention that it was a factory executive's car and not new?

These shots were taken in 1965.  At the time I had a Voigtländer view finder camera with a range finder.  (I wish I still had it.)  I used Ektachrome slide film, probably because it was fast enough to hand hold the camera.  I was not much for using a tripod in those days.  I came across these slides some time ago and made scans of them.  I used the camera until the range finder stopped working.  I bought a Mamiya SLR to replace it.  That was in the late 1970's.


http://www.larrysimages.com/


Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

No comments: