Monday, February 14, 2011

Coal

Coal
After peat comes coal on Geofacts No. 11It said, somewhere, that 10 feet of peat are compressed into 1 foot of coal.  Apparently, that is not considered the process of metamorphosis.  As I understand, metamorphosis transforms bituminous coal into anthracite coal, a harder, cleaner fuel.  We have mostly bituminous coal in Ohio.  Geofacts No. 11 states that bituminous coal is a sedimentary rock.

Mansfield was a great user of coal in the past.  I know this because I have crawled around in attics of older buildings in my younger years.  There was much coal smoke dust.  I would come out covered in it.

It took me a couple days to get this image.  This is the only piece of coal in my collection of rocks and minerals.  It came glued to card with other samples.  I removed it to photograph it.  I have tried to remove the glue but it is still visible when viewed closely.


http://www.larrysimages.com/  


Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email tol larry@arrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: