Friday, January 7, 2011

A moon rise adventure

My tree
This is not my tree any longer.  It fell down and I have moved on.  I thought that photographing it at moon rise would be just one more rendition.  I arrived long before sunset.  I brought a flash light so that I could find my way back.  I had obtained permission from Keith Kissling, the owner of the field.  It, the field, is used as a pasture.  I cattle were not out that night.  I had to try to guess where the moon would rise.  If I remember correctly, I had driven past at moon rise previously so I had a rough idea.  Once the process began, I knew I would have limited time.  I wanted to try to avoid the cell tower in the background if possible.

As the time drew near, I noticed clouds forming in the west, behind me.  It continued to get dark.  Soon I could start to see the glow of the moon below the horizon.



Moon about to rise
I was very excited!  The fruition of my planning was coming together.  Behind me, I kept hearing the thunder.  I began to be aware that the storm was coming my way.  It became a race.  Would I get the shot of the moon first or would the storm get there first.  I was using a film camera when I shot this back in 2001.  I, obviously, did not want my equipment wet.  I had it all out there.  I had plastic also.

Lightning flash!
I tried to stay on task.  I wanted that picture of the moon rise.  Then the light strikes and associated thunder began.  This is one that provided an exciting view of the land scape.  It also notified me that I had better escape while I could.  I never got shots of the moon fully risen.  I did have some of the moon starting to clear the horizon.  I packed up to the light of the lightning and my flashlight.  I hiked out to the truck and stowed my equipment just in time.  I, personally, was soaked but my equipment was safe and mostly dry.

I went back to rescan the negatives shot in April of 2001.  The film was Kodak Gold ISO 800 for the night shots.  The film used for the before night shots was Fuji ISO 400 print film.  My record keeping was not as good back in those days.  I don't have exposure information.  I am very happy with the improvement I see over the drug store prints they made for me.  I suppose the technology has improved quite a lot.  I would like to think that I have learned a little since then.

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: