Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I photograph to see!

Gneiss with anomaly
I picked up this rock several months ago.  I happened to notice that it had this star-like anomaly in it.  I looked at it with my hand lens but could not make it out.  I decided to photograph it using extreme closeup lenses so that I could get a better look.  

I think that the rock itself is Gneiss.  Gneiss is the metamorphic form of Granite.  It is granite which has been metamorphosed by either heat or pressure or both.

This star-like anomaly looks to me like it has grown in the depression of the rock.  The fibers seem to have formed the "star" on top but underneath they seem to be spread like a spiderweb.
I initially, upon finding it, used my finger nail to see if the "growth" was hard or soft.  I did not seem to deform it in any way, so I assumed that it was hard.  I now wonder if I really even touched it.  At some point, I would like to know if it is hard or soft.  I am afraid to probe it at this stage because I might destroy it.

I would welcome input on this one.  Do you have any experience with such a thing?

This discussion brings me to the main reason I do this kind of photography.  I want to take a closer look just for my own curiosity.  People question my doing this because they don't think that anyone would want to hang such a thing on their wall.  My response is that that may be true but I get to decide what I photograph.  It is a real luxury for which many photographers long.  I am thankful that I can do it.

http://www.larrysimages.com/



Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsu

No comments: