Monday, November 8, 2010

My favorite shot!

Northern Red Oak Leaf
This was my favorite shot made with the Kodachrome 64.  Bottom line, I had only nine which I kept.  I had shot some series' for Helicon Focus, high depth of field, and Photomatix, high dynamic range.  None of those worked.  I think it was because there is way too little chance that the slide film will be lined up perfectly in the mount or in the scanner or both.  This was a single shot made at 2" and f/16.
I think that I failed at my goal of exposing the film properly.  I over compensated for the "shoot for the highlights" characteristic of the film.  I can see that I have grown a little in this area, though.  I think that I could have more success with practice.

I made this shot at f/16.  It provided enough depth of field.  It was nice to be able to use smaller apertures with the film.  With digital I must be careful to avoid defraction.  Defraction causes loss of detail and sharpness when too small apertures are used.  With digital I would have used only f/11.  It is about the smallest one can use and retain sharpness and detail.

I was able to open the scanned files in Adobe Camera Raw and make adjustments.  With ACR I corrected some under exposures.  This was one.

I have been fascinated with the oak leaves this fall.  The landscape possibilities were diminished because of the weather.  I felt that my time was better spent photographing the individual leaves.  I viewed certain leaves as they underwent the changes of color.  It was interesting to see how they went through stages day to day.  I particularly liked the stage where the veins were red.  The frosted edges also appealed to me.  I, of course, had to wait for frosty mornings to capture the frost.  

http://www.larrysimages.com



Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


No comments: