Saturday, November 6, 2010

Scanning the slides

Slides

I am in the process of scanning the slides which arrived today (11-4-10).  I am being careful to number the files to correspond with the number on the slide.  I will then be able to go to the sound file that corresponds to that slide to record data and to try to reconstruct what I was thinking at the time.

I use what is called a hybrid approach when I shoot film.  This means that I convert to digital at this point and process the images digitally.  I mentioned previously that my scanner was a weak point in my process.  It is not a pro quality scanner.  It does not focus on the slide so it introduces some softness into the file.  I am, however; satisfied with given how much I use it. 

Another observation and a surprise to me was that the slides seemed more grainy than I expected them to be.  I am not sure what I will do when I go back to process the slides.  I may need to use noise reduction.  I am wondering about underexposure as a possible cause of this.

The scanning is an added step to the process.  It took me about 3 hours to do it and I have made no adjustments to the image files as yet.

I am not happy with my exposures.  I over compensated in the area of exposure compensation.  I underexposed by 1/2 to 1 stops.  I wonder if the graininess in the slides was caused by underexposure.  I did not pull or push developing so that was not a cause.  I told them to use normal processing.  Bottom line, I have much to learn.  I must confess that I liked the color.  I had not shot any Kodachrome since the 1950's.  I don't honestly see a reason for me to shoot film.  If I did, I would.

No comments: