Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A new plant?

xanthoparmelia lavicola lichen
This time of year, I start seeing different things.  This lichen has been there but I have paid little or no  attention to it.  I photographed it the other day knowing that it was a lichen.  I also made a closeup image of it.

closeup
In this image you can see that moss is also growing on this log.  It is unrelated to the lichen as far as I can learn.  I came home and looked up lichen in Wikipedia.  They had shots of this particular lichen and I was able to identify it.  I learned that a lichen is a composite organism.  It is a symbiotic association between a fungus and either alga or cyanobacterium.  The green component is the alga or cyanobacterium.  It must have light and carry on photosynthesis to produce its food.  Generally speaking, a symbiotic association is one where the two organisms mutually benefit one another.  The article I read is still difficult for me but I am trying to simplify it so that I can grasp it.  Please bear with me.

http://www.larrysimages.com


Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: