Sunday, February 2, 2020

Ground Hog Day



Ground Hog Day!
I can’t seem to ignore February 2 each year.

Marmota Monax

 Those of us who lived on the farm do not hibernate like the ground hog in the winter but we did go inside.  Maybe we were hibernating after all.  Anyway, we made a big deal of Ground Hog Day when I was growing up.  I was out of college before I decided that it was just a myth like Santa Clause and it didn’t matter if he saw his shadow or not.  (I knew about Santa much sooner in life.)  It’s the collective unconscious of humans who hate winter and wish for spring.  I learned in later years not to hate winter as badly.  I could get outside with my camera and that was great.  I decided that the city and the brown snow made me hate winter.  I used to and still do love looking for signs of spring from February 2 on, though.

No comments: