Thursday, January 30, 2020

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug



Brown Marmorated Sink Bug
I daren’t say where I found this insect but it was in our house.  I had seen sink bugs at Gorman but they were green.  I’ve talked to others who are aware of their presence indoors but this was my first.  Maybe I have delayed an infestation by capturing this one but probably not.

Brown Marmorated Sink Bug

I’m learning to mount insects and spiders and this is probably my best effort so far.  Marmorated means that it is veined or streaked like marble.
I learned from orkin.com:  “they are native to China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan and were unintentionally introduced in to the United States, with the first specimen being collected in Pennsylvania in 1998.  Since then, the species has expended its distribution to the to the states of California, Connecticut, Delaware, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Rhone Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, D.C., and West Virginia.”

I’m unable to discuss this in the open because some of our family find them “creepy.”  They are a perfect size for my photography and I just could not resist showing them to you.  This capture was made using a Sigma 105mm mounted on 68mm of extension.  The FOV, field of view, is 11mm making this individual not quite ½ inch.  As I’m sure you know, insects have an external skeleton and their muscles are internal like a crab.  I can see that characteristic easily in this image.
With my awkward handling of this specimen I broke off almost all the appendages but had to find another way to use it so I decided to photograph the eye.
           



   In the image to the left, above, I used a Pentax 200mm lens with a Nikon 10x objective mounted as a filter.  The one to the lower right was the same except that in inserted 56mm of extension between the lens and camera.                              



Then I wanted to get as close as I could so I changed the extension to 68mm and mounted a Mitutoyo 20x objective as a filter.


No comments: