Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Culver's Root



Culver's Root

Culver's Root
I began photographing this plant in the early 21st Century.  That is also the time during which I became aware of it's existence.  It usually blooms in July around here.  Several years ago my yardman planted it for me here at home.

Culver's Root
Wikipedia gives the following information about it:  It is in the plantain family, grows up to 79 in. tall and 18 in. broad.  It is an herbaceous perennial plant with slender racemes of white, occasionally pink of purple.  It is also known as Culver's-root, Culverphysic, Culver's physic, bowman's root and black root.

When I typed these names, I wondered if it might be used for intestinal evacuation aid and I found that it can be.

The leaves are serrated and arranged in whorls of 3-7 around the stem.  I have photographs of plants with each of these numbers of whorls. 

Follow Larry's Images on Instagram:  http://instagram.com/leleicher45/

No comments: