Thursday, March 28, 2019

Getting Started




Camera with "Tube" Lens
A friend kept telling me I needed to photograph through a microscope.  I resisted the idea because I had already unsuccessfully tried it previously.  I was using macro lenses, 1.4x converter, 2x converter, reversed lens and extention tubes.  With these assessories I was able to get to 1.56x on the sensor.  I was not happy with the results though so I finally determined that I would try using microscope objectives, the front lens on a microscope.  I started reading what I could get my hands on.  I forced my way into discussion groups to get to the people I was sure knew the answers.  I was very kindly told that the most successful photographers including himself were using tube lenses.
 
I thought a tube lens was a hollow configuration of extention tubes.
 
Extention Tubes with an Objective Mounted
 I kind of stumbled into this setup not knowing, at the time, what I was doing.  It's kind of how I learn.  I try something and if I like what I get I continue going in that direction and if I don't like it I try something else.  This one worked to a point.  In the process I had to learn about the different kinds of microscope objectives.  I read the imprinted characters and learned that the front of the objective must be 160mm from the sensor/it is corrected for using a .17mm cover slip.  It is 10x/with a 0.25 effective aperture.  I learned about this from Nikon, Edmond Optics and Zeiss web sites.
 
 
wulfenite_mafimi_durango_mexico_mr_vg3188_9749_9798s2hfc
As you can see I obtained an image which I considered good enough to print at the time.

Follow Larry's Images on Instagram
If you wish to unsubscribe, email to leleicher45@gmail.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


No comments: