Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Extension Tubes

Extension Tubes
Earlier I experienced vignetting when I added certain close-up filters.  I found that I must open my aperture to eliminate this problem.  With the strongest filters, I had to open to f/2.8, the lenses widest.

Later I discovered that the addition of extension tubes had an effect on this phenomena.  If I added enough extension, I could use smaller apertures.  Lately I have liked f/5.6 and experienced no vignetting until I was using a short focal length filter.  When it reared its ugly head I eliminated it with the addition of 20mm more of extension.  I recently purchased a second set  to explore whether more extension would benefit my photography.  To this time, I have not found that it will but I keep trying.

The above tubes total 68mm.  They have three parts, 12mm; 20mm; and 36mm.  They are placed between the camera and the lens.  They have the same mounts as used on your camera system.   If I use a teleconverter, which I will discuss at another time, I place it between the extenders and the camera.


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook
If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.  

No comments: