Saturday, October 28, 2017

Diamond XL Vaal River Free State Rep S Africa

Diamond
This is a ruff diamond, i.e. the facets have not been cut or polished.  As you can see from the title, it is from the Republic of South Africa.

I was so excited to obtain the sample because I had no images of a diamond in my collection.  I have photographed all the steps in the Mohs hardness of minerals scale except diamond.  I have samples representing nearly all the hardness-es of the Mohs' Scale.  The scale is used in identifying unknown minerals.  It goes from "1" to "10."  1 is the softest and can be scratched by all the harder minerals, 2-10.  Diamond is the hardest and can scratch all the other minerals, 1-9.

This sample is tiny.  It is displayed at 9.84X life size on the sensor.  It is way too tiny to be faceted, polished and used in jewelry.  You can barely see it with the unaided eye.  It seems to me it is not clear, which is a prerequisite for becoming jewelry.  These are all reasons that is cost me $3.00.

Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: