Sunday, October 2, 2016

Bee-fly

Bee-fly
 I came upon this beefly on the sunflowers the other day.  I made three successful captures before it was gone.  I have not seen it again.

Bee-fly

Jason Larson, the director at Gorman Nature Center was glad to see these pictures.  I was captivated by the hair on the bottom being thick compared to the dorsal hair.  I wrongly thought it might be a leaf cutter bee.

Bee-fly
Jason thought:  The eyes point to fly.  The single wings per side point to fly as do their being held to the sides of the body.

Someone at the BugGuide site suggested that it might be Sparnopolius confusus.  I am sure I don't know but it was an interesting find.


Larry's Images and Aerial



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: