Monday, July 13, 2015

Dufourea novaeangliae Drama

Dufourea novaeagliae Bee
The Pickerel Weed is blooming.  While it is doing so, I sit by the edge of the pond photographing Dragonflies and Damselflies.  The Dragon/Damsel flies come out when the conditions are right and this particular morning they were still in hiding.

I found myself looking for the Dufourea novaeaglie Bees which according to Wikipedia, "There is a species of bee (Dufourea novaeangliae) that exclusively visits Pontederia cordata," aka Pickerel Weed.  They are tiny bees, which I have tried to show in this shot.  Anyway, I saw only one.  I looked all around and could see only this one.

Unknown Spider
At first, I did not notice this unknown spider lurking on the back side of the bloom.  My first glimpse of it said, "ant" to me.  I was incorrect as you can see.















The struggle went on, mostly behind the bloom.  I was able to get a shot periodically when it moved into view.


At one point the two creatures descended on web filament of the spider.  I thought the bee was about to lose.  Then, instantaneously, the bee flew away and landed on the pickerel weed bloom.






Dufourea novaeagliae Bee
I couldn't see where it might have been injured.

Larry's Images



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: