Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Dryad Saddle Mushroom

Dryad Saddle Mushroom
Dryad Saddle Mushrooms can get quite large!  I noticed these growing on the side of tree "stump" the other day.  You can see the log on the ground directly behind it.

Dryad Saddle
I believe these to be new growth this spring.  Obviously, the substrait is wood, possibly elm.  This tree's demise was possibly a lightning strike.

Dryad Saddle
The ones growing on the log, I think, are newer growth than the ones previously pictured.


Dryad Saddle
They grow at rakish angles.

Dryad Saddle Primordia
If my learning from growing mushrooms indoors last winter transfers to Dryad Saddle, this would be a picture of Dryad Saddle Primordia, a precursor to mushroom growth.  You can see the individual mushrooms trying to push their way out of the mass.

Dryad Saddle Underside of Cap Tissue, 8X
This is shot, at 8X of the tissue on the underside of the cap.  There are supposed to be pores in this location though, I am unsure whether I see them or not.  I was unable to obtain a spore print.  The tissue may be too young for pores and spores.



Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: