Monday, January 12, 2015

New (to me) Macro Setup

Macro Setup
George Lepp's column in Outdoor Photographer, February 2015 issue, inspired me recently.  It is entitled "Work Around the Weather."  His first suggestion, involving macro photography, suggested photographing butterfly wings using a macro lens with a wide angle lens reversed on the front.  I was on the phone to B&H Photo the next day to order the rings I needed.  I am using a Sigma 180mm macro with a Sigma 10mm to 20mm lens reversed as a closeup filter.

The setup requires lots of light for focusing so I put a small flood light in the cube for focusing.  I use the flash for the actual capture.

Ruler Shot
This capture shows how the image looked before I got it focused.  Notice how the frame is filled.

Ruler Shot
This is way it started looking without my making any setting changes.  I tried it again today and the same thing happened.

I was awake last night thinking about this.  After today's effort, I think that the heat from the flood light it doing something to the diaphragm on the 10mm to 20mm causing it to close and causing the image circle.  I noticed the circle was not the same size in all images.  I think it is the heat.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing?

Buy your 2015 Calender Here 


Larry's Images



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: