Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Macro at 10.7X

Camera Setup Ruler
I spent two days on the solution to yesterday's problem. 

Ruler Image f/5.6
I had no idea that the solution would come from settings on the main lens.

This image was captured with the main lens set at f/5.6.









Ruler Image f/4.5
Ruler Image f/4

You can do a little for vignetting in Adobe Bridge, but I found that f/4 to f/3.5 worked well with the closeup filter (lens) set on 20mm and focused on ∞.  I am still wondering how that affects the size step chosen for CamRanger.  I used "large" on the capture at the right because focus on the main lens must move a lot to focus through a shallow object such the the scale at the right.

I also came to appreciate the Adorama Macro Focusing Rail, not as a nice addition but as a necessity.

Adorama Macro Focusing Rail
 The camera rig is difficult to aim.  I needed the spot light for composition and beginning focus.  My first usable capture (Ruler Image f/4) was a stack using the spot for lighting.  I must remember to set the main lens focusing at the nearest setting since the CamRanger focuses the lens from near to far.  If you have the main lens set at ∞, there is no error massage.  You notice that the focus did not change during the stack run.  My procedure which evolved was:  set the main lens on "near" focus, compose the image, turn the "near/far" dial on the Rail to just before "near."  Fine tune the "right/left" dial and shoot.

Buy your 2015 Calender Here 


Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: