Sunday, December 7, 2014

Growing Mushrooms


Mushroom Module with Primordia
While seeking the spore print I found myself wondering when sporing occurred.  I did not want to camp out beside the mushroom in the woods.  I found a company, Gourmet Mushrooms, Inc. which sells classroom kits.  Thank you home schoolers.  You can visit their website.  They have four modules with standards based lesson plans.  I ordered the first module only.  You can save money by purchasing multiple modules.  The module I purchased grows Oyster Mushrooms.  It includes, as you can see above, the module, black paper for spore printing, cups for spore printing, the cup for primordia development, and a tent to be installed for mushroom development.

Oyster Mushroom Primordia
This is how the primordia looked when I removed the paper cover.  I have since decided that I should have left it in place.  I did not because the instructions said to take off 1/2 inch and I did so.

Mushroom Module With Top 1/2 Inch Removed
I removed the top 1/2 of the primordia and media.   I placed the primordia development cup on top after adding 1 Teaspoon of distilled water and misting the inside of the top.  The smell of the primordia was delightful!

More later.


Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: