Thursday, December 4, 2014

Examining the Spores

Swift Microscope
I was able to rescue this microscope from destruction and have put it to good use.  I obtained a Canon Microscope Mount as you can see.  There is no aperture setting with this settup.  I use shutter speed only.  I also obtained an LED light for bottom light.  I use flash for top light.  You will see both kinds of light represented in my photography.

Don't try this at home unless you are exceedingly careful with the position the mount.  It it extends too far into the camera body, the mirror could hit it causing damage to the camera.

Deer Mushroom Spores at 40X
 
This is top light plus just enough bottom light for focus.

Deer Mushroom Spores at 400X
 
This is a focus stack.  I have not been exceedingly happy with the results because I do not see much if any improvement over the single exposure.  I am not quite finished exploring the concept.  I will get back with you if I learn anything.

This shot is totally bottom light, except ambient light.  I had to use a slower shutter speed here.

The ID guides occasionally discuss the shape of the spores and this would be where we could see that.

Buy your 2015 Calender Here 


Larry's Images



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: