Monday, August 11, 2014

How Do You Do That?

I received a comment the other day asking, "How do you do that?"  I received it via e-mail and could not remember the image to which it referred.  Thinking of the question and wanting to answer it I made the image below to show how.

Insect Setup
I use a Sigma 180mm macro lens on a Sigma 2x Teleconverter., a Canon 7D Camera, two Canon 420EX slave flashes mounted on a modified, Manfrotto 330B Macro Flash Bracket (#3278B)
A Manfrotto 3245 monopod, a Manfrotto 3262 ball head, and a remote shutter release.  I find that I do my best work while seated on a "milk carton."  

I set my ISO at auto but it always stays on 400.  I use 1/250 second and f/22.  I use the f/22 partly because the lens is fast and f/16 is not enough to keep my exposure correct.  I aim for "Exposure Compensation" = - 2.5 and "Flash Exposure Compensation" = 0.  I then have the FEC available for momentary light changes.  Some times I lock the ISO to 100 to 200 if the light is too great.  I use the flash to mitigate shadows.  I want it to equal about 2.5 stops.  That is what works for me.

The remote release is to accommodate my sore right arm.  It does not respond well to isometric tension on the shutter button.  The milk carton not only helps me stabilize the equipment but helps my sore back.  I focus manually because the lens will not auto focus mounted on the 2x converter.

No comments: