Monday, June 23, 2014

Eastern Forktail Teneral

Eastern Forktail Teneral
I discovered this damselfly moulting just a few inches from my seat the other day.  "Teneral" means that the insect has not formed its exoskeleton as yet.  They don't have bones inside like we do to give their body form.  Their "bones" are on the outside and is called "exoskelton."



They must remain immovable while their new body forms.  I wondered where they get the fluid they pump into their wings.




The wings are compressed in little paddles on the back of the larva.  At moult, they come out still compressed.  As the insect forms, it inflates its wings to their "adult" size.  The wings are the light yellow appendages just behind the thorax.



I have never been able to catch this process and photograph it to completion until this day.  When the wings started to inflate, it was a rapid process.  I would estimate that it took about 1 1/2 minutes.

I know that I am giving you a lot of images to view so I will share the remainder tomorrow.


Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: