Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Eastern Forktail Teneral II

Eastern Forktail Teneral

I sat photographing the stages of this process for almost 2 1/2 hours.



You should notice that the abdomen is lengthening in this stage.

I would not show many of these except to show this process.



You might notice the white string like tissue exiting the exuvia, old skin, behind this insect.  Some times seeing those is the only way I can tell whether the moult has occurred or not.  Come to think of it,  I don't think that I have actually seen the larva exit the water.


I am unsure what those tissues are.

Eastern Forktail Teneral
I shot the first image at 6/14/2014, 9:59:58 AM and the last at 6/14/2014, 11:15:43 AM.  This data is from the camera metadata saved with the image.
I am sure the insect lengthens during this process but I also think the exuvia shortens from drying out.

Larry's Images



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: