Sunday, February 9, 2014

Lockheed-Martin F-22A Raptor

Lockheed-Martin F-22A Raptor
 My daughter, Carrie lives near the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton.  When I go, I try to set aside time to do photography there.  I have had time recently, as my print making winds down to work more on the shots I made there in 2013.  This one was shot on March 1, 2013.

The museum presents a series of difficulties in shooting the planes.  Usually the backgrounds are cluttered and distracting.  In many cases the foreground is also a challenge.  The lighting is very contrasty and low.  I think that I have come to an understanding with myself as to how I will progress in the future.  I like the low vantage point because it helps solve the background issues.  In this shot I had to include an undesirable foreground element which I then removed via the magic of photoshop.  I have decided the the high contrast is best dealt with by shooting HDR.  I find that ISO 400 or better 800 work for the low light and I shoot -4, -2, 0, +2, +4 exposure compensation.

I like to find an horizon line which separates the foreground from the background.  I paint the background black on a separate layer.  I paint the foreground on another layer with the clone stamp tool or a brush if needed.  I can change the opacity of the back ground so that a sense of place is maintained.  I set it such that you know the image comes from the NMUSAF but not to distract from the subject.

I think aircraft are enjoyable to photograph.

The Raptor is a single seat, twin-engine fifth-gen super maneuverable stealth fighter.  The USAF claims it is unmatched.  The final F-22 rolled of the assembly line on Dec. 13, 2011.  Designed to replace the F-15 and F-16 as the air superiority fighter.


Larry's Images



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: