Friday, September 27, 2013

B-36 Addendum

Mark 17 Thermonuclear Bomb
I went to the National Museum of the United States Air Force thinking that I would try to improve on my shot of the F-111 but construction preempted my plan.

I had thought that I would try shooting the aircraft from a lower angle.  I have learned in the past that my ultra wide lens gets used a lot in these shoots.  It is all that I used this time.

The Mark-17 was the first H-bomb.  It somehow incorporated hydrogen to make the atomic explosion more powerful.  It weighed 41,000 lbs.  It was in service from 1954 to 1957.  Its metal casing walls were 3 1/2 inches thick.  A ribbon chute was attached to slow its fall to give the B-36 time to exit the proximity.  

Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: