Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Slender Spreadwing

Slender Spreadwing Male
There are a few damselflies which spread their wings when perched.  Hence, part of the name.  It is interesting to note that certain locations on my morning walk consistently have certain dragonflies or damselflies.  The location for the spreadwings is the vernal pool north of the covered bridge.  I have not seen them anywhere else at Gorman.

I have no data except my own observations, but I think that particularly the damselflies stay close to the pool from which they moulted.  The larger, stronger flying, dragonflies may range farther from "their" pool.  I see dragon flies all around the walk, some of which, are maybe a quarter to half mile from any pools.

I think that I could take you for a walk around my trail and predict which ones we might see in the different locations.

Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


No comments: