Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A New Bird For Me

Brown-headed Cowbird Male
I noticed this bird the other morning as one unknown to me.  It was about the size of a red-winged blackbird.  I made some shots hoping that I could identify it later at home.  It turned out to be the Brown-headed Cowbird.

Wikipedia shows a map illustrating the seasonal areas for this bird.  Gorman Nature Center is located in the "all year around" area for this bird.  They migrate south in the winter.  I don't know a lot of birds so I suppose that I have just not been lucky enough to notice it before.

The female lays her egg in the nest of another bird which raises the nestling after it hatches.  The cowbird is known to retaliate if the egg or nestling is rejected.  It does not sound like a nice bird.

Larry's Images


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: