Sunday, September 2, 2012

Chinese Mantis

Chinese Mantis
I was looking for a spider I had photographed on the previous day.  I had overlooked this dramatic action because of the camouflage of this large predatory insect.  He/she was having a feast.  The prey looked like a bumble bee to me.
Chinese Mantis
You can see why I missed seeing this large insect the first time.  I was looking at seed heads for the spider and this scene did not catch my eye.

Chinese Mantis
I soon decided that this drama demanded video.  The setup took too long and the Mantis was finished consuming the bee by the time I returned.  I will need to be satisfied with the drama conveyed by these stills.  

Each animal has a sense of comfort and it varies from species to species.  It seemed that this Mantis was comfortable with my presence.  I filmed for a long time, shooting 8 gigs.  When all was said and done, I decided that the video did not capture any action which was interesting.  I hoped to catch the insect capturing another bee.  It did not happen while I was there.  I have been unable to find it since.  I suppose that it flew away.

Chinese Mantis
I did capture images of another/same Mantis on on another occasion.  This one was quite aware of my presence and even looked at me.

Chinese Mantis

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: