Monday, September 24, 2012

Aster Plant

Maryland Golden-aster
I accidentally noticed this plant the other day.  This was definitely an accident since it does not draw attention to itself during the "yellow period", my words.  You have to look closely to note that the blooms are different from the Canada goldenrod and others.  

It has oval shaped leaves.

Maryland Golden-aster
The leaves are alternate on the hairy stem.

Maryland Golden-aster
You must look very closely to note that the edges of the leaves are toothed.  I kind of think that I decided that they were not toothed.  What do you think?

Maryland Golden-aster
From the point where the leaf connects to the stem two flower-lets or flowers emerge.

Did I say that I am unsure about the ID of this plant?  I have found this plant in only two locations at Gorman.

Maryland Golden-aster
It is a quite beautiful plant.  It is unique in the shape of its leaves and the two flowers emerging from each leaf base.  Any comments on the ID of this plant would be welcomed.  


http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: