Saturday, August 18, 2012

Honey Bee

Honey Bees
It probably goes without saying that the honey bee is essential to the reproductive cycle of certain plants.  They go after the nectar from the plant and in so doing spread pollen from the male parts of the plant to the female parts.

Honey Bee
This is Canada Thistle.  The bee is providing the aforementioned service to this plant while it receives nector.

Honey Bee
Carol was concerned that I might get stung photographing these insects.  I have had no difficulty with that.  Once in a great while a bee will fly into my forehead but they have not stung me.  My usual lens for the above shot is a Sigma 70-300mm macro with a 1.4x teleconverter.  The working distance for an insect this size is its closest focusing point which is about 12 inches.  That is a comfortable distance for me and the insect.  I did try my Sigma 105mm macro on some shots recently and liked the perspective which is noticeably different.  It has a much closer working distance, meaning that I am in there with the bees flying around my head.  It worked okay with the bees.  I think that we were both less comfortable than when I use the 70 - 300mm lens.

http://www.larrysimages.com/

Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

 

No comments: